Saturday, December 10, 2005

OPEN FORMS . UNUSUAL FORMS

I've been thinking about these two open form seedlings and how best to move them toward unusual form. Bearing in mind what I have to work with by way of Tet PSUF cultivars, I don't have much to work with! 'Geri's Aura' isn't really one I should use for this purpose as it is just another open form when you stop and examine it. Two others I have are both reds and I really don't want to go that way, that leaves my only other Tet SPUF, 'Boney Maroney'. It's a very large bloom, perhaps 10-inches, it's drawback: it's yellow! Probably offspring colors would be in the peach range, which might not be all that bad.

What I may possibly do is cross 'Geri's Aura' with 'Boney Maroney' to produce lavender to peach "bridge plants" to use with the crosses made with the two open form seedlings and BM.

Sometimes it is difficult to only work with what you have. There are several seedlings and cultivars as well that I would like to play around with but just don't have the "right" partner for them. So I hold onto them in hopes that something will turn up in the seedling bed or I'll be able to trade for something I can use. I'm still hoping to get a really skinny red Tet spider to use with the offspring I get from my LT10 X 'Heavenly Fire Arrow' and 'Samar Star Fire' seedlings.

Here's a view of 'Boney Maroney':


No comments: